Authenticity is the essence of leadership
It has been truly an honor to participate in the congress of National Geographic Mentes Brillantes on 27 April. This event brings together thinkers on education, management, science, and technology to share the most current thinking and experiences in Madrid at the Circo Price Theater.
It was a pleasure to share stage with Anxo Perez, best-selling author of “88 Peldaños del Exito,” Miguel Angel Tobias, creator of “Españoles por el Mundo,” and Daniel Abreu, founder of ThinkingHeads, among others. Brilliant minds that shared inspirational stories of life and work.
The challenge was to summarize Yours Truly leadership in just 15 minutes, but here are the key points:
- You don´t need to create a character to be a successful leader. Leadership beings with yourself.
- Authenticity is the essence of leadership.
- People demand leaders to be authentic: knowing their strengths and limitations, being consistent with their values, and behaving in accord to a moral code.
- The trust gap between leaders and followers is widening – the credibility of leadership is in crisis.
- Leaders are over-glorified, we need a revolution of leadership –no more superheroes.
- Develop your own leadership style –Be yourself, not a copy of others.
- The 3 Hs of Authentic Leadership –Heart/Habit/Harmony- can help you develop your authenticity and break 3 myths.
- Heart –Be yourself… with passion but humility.
- Habit –Be yourself… but learn and improve every day.
- Harmony –Be yourself… but care about others´ wellbeing.
- Test your authenticity – take the quiz.
Remember, to become an authentic leader you don´t need to fall into the mentality of a super-hero. Instead, shift to the mind-set of unsung heroes.
Thank you to everyone who came out for my book signing and discussion on at El Corte Inglés stand.
I´m Margarita Mayo. I´ve been a Professor of Leadership and Psychology at IE Business School since 2000. Prior to that I was a Fulbright scholar at Harvard University and professor at Ivey Business School. I feel passionate about scientific dissemination, and I have more than 20 years of international experience teaching courses on soft skills, giving keynote conferences and coaching executives on leadership development and change management. Always eager to help develop the next generation of leaders.
Become the Best Version Yourself Grow as a LeaderLive your Best Life
Delivered in a dynamically way to motivate your audience. A mixed of surprising statistics, counterintuitive answers, scientific insights, practical tools, and compelling stories. 1 hour event
Grow your company talent with a participative training course in Soft Skills and Emotional Intelligence to develop authentic leadership, build high performing teams, and manage change. Half-day event
Discover your personality and become the best version of yourself with a one-to-one or team coaching based on scientific methods to growth and increase your impact as a leader. 3 to 6 months